Printable Version

National Register of Historic Places

(The homes appearing in the list are private residences.

They are NOT open to the public.)

  

Baker Highway Maintenance Station (aka Baker Station Historic District) – Highway 108, Strawberry – added 2004

Cady House – 72 N. Norlin Street, Sonora – added 1982

One-story Greek Revival pre-fabricated home came around Cape Horn in the 1850s.  Reconstructed by George Haley, a black residence of Sonora, it was sold to John Cady in 1866.  The house was documented in the Library of Congress, through the Historic American Buildings Survey as part of the Works Progress Administration during the Great Depression.   For more information, order CHISPA, Vol. 33, No. 2, October-December, 1993.

 Chinaman Mortar Site – Strawberry – added 1975

 

City Hotel – 145 S. Washington Street, Sonora – added 1983

Alonzo Green, Sonora mayor in 1852 and 1853, and James Lane were associated in the building of the City Hotel in 1852.  Constructed of slate, adobe, and red brick, it is one of the oldest buildings in Sonora.  In the 1860s, it was purchased by Olivier Bemis.  The street level part of the hotel had a large sitting room, bar and restaurant, with rooms upstairs.  In the early 1900s, the hotel ran a horse pulled bus daily to meet the trains for the convenience of prospective guests. 

 

 Columbia Historic District – Columbia – added 1966

 

Emporium – 18180 Main Street, Jamestown – added 1978

Built in 1897, during the Second Gold Rush, the commercial brick building was erected by J. W. Witney.  The architect and builder was C. H. Wilson.  This rectangular brick two-story building, with original living quarters on the second floor and sales room and offices on the first, is a late-Victorian with Eastlake details.  The building was a pioneer department store, occupied by Witney for six months, then acquired by Moses Arendt, who managed the business until 1928 when he sold it to Jim Porter and Peter Barendregt.  It served as the county telephone exchange from 1906-1923.  From 1935 until 1967, it housed the Barendregt grocery store.  Basically unaltered from its original form, it remains one of the most imposing business buildings in Jamestown and Tuolumne County.  

 

Emporium

Gamble Building

 

Gamble Building and Miner’s Bean Kettle (aka Wells Fargo Building and Raggio Store) – 17544 State Hwy. 120, Big Oak Flat – added 1991. 

The building was constructed in 1852 by Alexander Gamble principally of native slate and locally made bricks and features a wide, decorated brick breeze along the front façade.  Wells, Fargo & Co. was located in the eastern suite from the 1850s until 1893.  Numerous businesses occupied the building:  U. S. Post Office, general store, cobbler, law offices, butcher shop and justice court.  On the west side of the building is a small jail with iron bars. 

 

The Miner’s Bean Kettle was constructed in 1870 and operated as a restaurant into the 1940s.  It is constructed of adobe/wood with corrugated metal siding and roofing.  For more information, order CHISPA, Vol. 46, No. 4, April-June, 2007.

 

Golden Crown Mine – Mono Pass – added 1977

 

Great Sierra Mine Historic Site (aka Dana Village) – Lee Vining – added 1978

 

Great Sierra Wagon Road ( aka Aspen Valley Road; Old Tioga Road) – Yosemite Valley – added 1978

 

 

Groveland Hotel – 18767 Main Street, Groveland – added 1994

One of the oldest buildings in Tuolumne County, it is the largest adobe structure in Groveland.  George Reed is thought to be the architect and builder and was the owner of the hotel from 1852 until 1866.  The building is a two-story, adobe brick structure with a parapet and flat roof.  The hotel provided much needed housing for workers during the construction of the Hetch Hetchy Water and Power project approved in 1913 after twelve years of struggle with landowners and environmentalists. 

 

Hodgdon Meadow Archeological District – Wawona – added 1979

 

Hotel Charlotte (aka Hotel Charlotte & Café) – 18736 Main Street, Groveland – added 1994.

Charlotte De Ferrari, after whom the property was named, acquired this property in 1921 and began a restaurant and hotel business.  No stranger to the restaurant business since she had already worked restaurants across Main Street.  The two-story building has a gable roof and false front.  Charlotte De Ferrari owned the business until the late 1940s.

 

McCauley Cabin (aka Caretaker’s Cabin) – Lee Vining – added 1977

 

New Melones Archeological District – New Melones Visitors Center – added 1991

 

Niagara Camp – Stanislaus National Forest – added 1975

 

Parsons Memorial Lodge – Tuolumne Meadows – added 1979

 

Quail Site – Long Barn – added 1975

 

Soda Springs Cabin (aka John Lembert Homestead) – Lee Vining – added 1979

  

Sugg House – 37 Theall Street, Sonora – added 1984

William Sugg, a harness maker, came to California as a slave and bought his freedom in 1854.  After marrying Mary Elizabeth Snelling, daughter of a slave, William built the original portion of the home in 1857 from adobe-type bricks made on the property.  The home was expanded as the family grew; all of the added areas were constructed of wood including the entire second floor.  The home remained in the family for 122 years.  For more information, order CHISPA, Vol . 24, No. 4, April-June, 1985. 

 

Sugg House

 

 

Tioga Pass Entrance Station – Lee Vining – added 1978

 

 

Tuolumne County Courthouse – 41 West Yaney Avenue – added 1981

The first courthouse constructed in 1853 of wood was replaced by a three-story Romanesque-style pressed brick and concrete structure during the years 1898-1899.  The need for a larger fire proof structure was met during the Second Gold Rush in the mid-1890s, which also provided the county’s financial revenues to support construction.  The architect was William Mooser & Son and constructed by Charles F. McCarthy.  For more information, order CHISPA, Vol. 39, No. 1 and No. 2, July-September and October-December 1999. 

 

Tuolumne County Jail (aka Tuolumne County Museum and History Center) – 158 Bradford St., Sonora – added 1978

The Tuolumne County jail was built in 1857 which included family quarters for the sheriff or jailer’s family.  In 1865, the jail was destroyed by a fire set by a prisoner and rebuilt in 1866.  The jail walls were constructed using two thicknesses of red brick with crisscrossed iron strips between, and set on a foundation of well-laid schist rock.  By 1960, the old jail was obsolete and a new jail was constructed a block to the north.  At the request of the newly formed Tuolumne County Historical Society, the Tuolumne County Board of Supervisors designated the old jail as the Tuolumne County Museum.  In 1978, the History Center was added to store that portion of the County History Collection not on display.  For more information, order CHISPA, Vol. 25, No. 4, April-June, 1986 and Vol. 35, No. 3, January-March, 1996. 

Tuolumne County Jail

 

Tuolumne Meadows – Lee Vining – added 1978

 

Tuolumne Meadows Ranger Stations – Lee Vining – added 1978

 

Watts & Tannahill Company Store (aka Iron Door Saloon) – 18761 Main Street, Groveland – added 1995

 

Yosemite Valley District – Yosemite National Park – added 2006

 

Cooper Cabin (aka Cooper Cow Camp) – Emigrant Wilderness, Stanislaus National Forest, Strawberry - added 2009

Sonora Youth Center – 732 S. Barretta St., Sonora - added 2009

 

Stanislaus Branch, California Forest and Range Experiment Station – Forest Rd. 4N13B, Strawberry - added 2009

 

Courthouse Square – bounded by N. Washington St., W. Yaney Ave., N. Green St., and W. Jackson St., Sonora - added 2007

By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010

 

More Information 

   Top of Page 

 

 

Site Created as a Community Service by Blue J Web Designs